RCA 76-C Console Restoration Log
Please use the "back" button
to return to the previous page.
Friday, September 18, 2009:
This console is in working order but there are a few items I need to take care of. Among these are:
- I have already fixed the headphone jack. The wiring had broken and it was a simple matter to re-solder.
- Restore the paint on the wooden end panels. The right one is fine but the one on the left end needs to be re-done. I will probably wait until I get the paint mixed for the turntables, then paint these panels at the same time.
- Re-wire channel 4. In the original configuration, channel 4 was wired so that the mic at the control desk could be used as a talk-back mic, allowing the engineer or director to communicate directly with the studio(s). My console had the wiring on channel 4 changed at some point to be identical to channels 1-3. This isn't too hard to fix since I have all the relevant wiring diagrams and schematics.
- Wire the indicator lights: The console has one indicator light on either side of the VU meter to correctly indicate "on-air" and "audition."
- Add relays for external "on-air" and "audition" lights. I would like to find original RCA relays but I haven't had much luck so far. The lights themselves come up for sale from time to time but are pretty expensive. Fortunately, these are an iconic design that is available as a repro. They're still pretty expensive, but not outrageously so.
© 2009-2012 KWD Radio